Monday, July 25, 2005

Ever had the desire to take a flying leap into Buckingham Fountain?

Anyone else out there stupid enough to have gone to Lollapalooza yesterday in all 104 degrees of Chicago's stifling glory? As much as I love Louis XIV, no performance would have been worth that level of heatstroke. I saw at least one person pass out during The Ponys' set and get dragged off by the EMTs. We couldn't handle staying past 4 to see the Killers or Death Cab for Cutie. Though "death cab" certainly comes off as a good description of what the un-air conditioned brown line felt like that day....
After months of what felt like beating a dead horse from 200 miles away, I'm finally about to start making progress on getting my final recital together. This has been the most trying experience college has dealt me in all 5 years of it, which is saying a shit ton if you've had any experiences whatsoever with the U of I music dept. I'm presently trying to think of the most tactful and least insulting way of telling these instructors that I'm badgering about teaching me that I don't actually care how well the recital goes. I don't like opera and I would rather do theater forever and ever. I just want it done and approved so I can get my damn diploma and have a graduation party, for we all know that where there's a party, there are envelopes. I kept getting the impression all through college that U of I was the only archaic institution left still bent on maintaining the conservative outlook on art music that they've been preaching for over 100 years, but as it turns out, DePaul and Northwestern are no better. One teacher I talked to at DePaul seems to think that it will require a full year to get this recital together, and that's on the assumption that I already have all my music memorized. I think she had a small stroke when I told her I hadn't even starting thinking about what would be on the program yet.
In the midst of this nightmare, I may soon be joining the Blue Moon Studio Theater. At the moment they're mid-production, but I've been invited to audition in February for Rocky Horror. It's the longest prep period I think I've ever had for an audition, and I plan to use it. How ecstatic am I at the idea of being cast in that show? For now I'm going to get on the inside track and check out/perhaps audition for a spot in their cabaret show. No pay, but plenty of stage time and a chance to get my foot in the door with the main stage theater group. I'll meet the director next Monday, so we shall see.......
Less than 2 weeks to Wisconsin. This job can blow me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

balls

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home